The Uneon Insider

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Child's Soul

There was a moment when the fires of my heart seemed frozen in time. The temperature refused to go down. The flame refused to die out, and yet somehow time had beaten it.

At one time I had believed that the secret to divine riches or what some would call happiness, lay in the palms of my own child's children. It brought crystal tears to my eyes to envision this luxurious fantasy.

From a single rag to the richest breath, I had declared what would be the one thing to heal all. Do you not find it amusing, that the richest boy on earth has overlooked the greatest detail?

That fire, that fantasy, and that breath of fresh air had already been born.

She is not my child. She is my sister's.

When I look into her eyes, the word "problem" seems as distant to me as the earthworm in the sky....

There are no earthworms in the sky.

When she smiles, I forget that I am not in love. I forget that the flame is frozen. I forget that "the one" exists for the small moment. I have fallen for her trance. It is a comforting trance.

It is a comforting smile.

When she screams her terrible cry and punches me with her tiny little fist, I quickly remember what I told my friends.

"I want to be the best grandpa on earth."

Silly, because now more than ever, I want to be the best father on earth first.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home