The Uneon Insider

Saturday, September 08, 2007

The Author


A Starlit Gaze & the Tale of an Owl’s Search for the Sun


Glistening stars in a midnight sky is what I see when I return to the ground. I push myself beyond the boundaries of imagination and soar to the sky planting accomplishments disguised as bright stars. It seems, the only limit I’ve set for myself is my own personal values, based on the beliefs of serving God and ultimately humankind. My main motivation is to learn and gain something valuable wherever I go. The best feeling of all, is coming back down and admiring the beauty of the stars. Becoming a renaissance man is not an easy task. Despite all my skills and talents, a couple of years ago I could see myself saying, “Damn, I have English!” in a very “Mersault” type of way. Funny thing is, I would not have known that Mersault was the main character of a great existentialist book called “The Stranger” or that this book would put my skills and talents to a test like no other. All I saw then was that as a Muslim student learning Existentialism in a Catholic School, it was absurd to the point of being comical to begin my search for a sense of belonging.


My curiosity led me straight to McDonald’s for a slice of pizza and then to joining a Christian Choir. Not embracing my usual rebel persona, I kept quiet and did what I was told to do. Soon, I became a lot more involved. I was enjoying myself. At the McDonald’s Gospel Competition I realized that my values were as close to theirs as a woven web. At the time, I thought it shouldn’t matter if I wanted to read about a teenager in tights swinging around town and calling himself Spider-man. For once I was in my own realm, a paradise filled with mutants, genetic super-heroes, and political/moral lessons. However, I realized something valuable when we started to pray. I realized that I was here for a reason, and though I was one voice, each and every single voice mattered. Choir was about praising God and thanking him. Later that night, I used every ounce of talent I had in me and I’m proud to say, we came in first at the competition.


I’ve done crazy things before and I’ve joined numerous clubs, but with Robotics I could have sworn I was setting myself up for an entrance with nothing on but underwear and blushing cheeks of embarrassment. Robotics is a technology program that requires students to build a robot within a 6 week period. You then compete in Regional and National Competitions. During the 6-week building process, I worked in spite of feeling like Robin, Batman’s lackey, standing next to a fellow student who obviously knew more than I did. I just followed orders. I told myself, I can’t just stand around doing things without knowing what this is about. Throughout the years I made sure I was fulfilling my role as the inquisitive sidekick, even if I was saying zany things like “Holy wires and gears Batman! Putting in a certain program code makes the Robot turn left!” Winning on that competition day made me so proud of myself. I was extremely glad I was persistent. Over time I progressed from member, to electrical leader, to Co-Captain, to the Rice High School Steel Raiders Robotics Captain.


The bullet time sensation of being in Ghana this summer for 5 weeks was far more exhilarating than actually seeing a guy in shades and a trench-coat running along walls, shooting, and reloading all in one motion. It was incredible because I am African. I was born there. I came to the United States when I was four. However, when I went back to Africa, I did not know where I belonged. The Africans treated me like an American, and here I was, one of the few black people amidst a predominately white group. Yet, I was a whole lot more at ease with the white folks than my own people. However, for now, I was jumping in pools, helping to build schools, dancing, singing, laughing, mingling, bargaining with taxi drivers and souvenir sellers, living with strangers; they’re great story tellers, seeing great things from beaches to ships, and loving every single moment of it. Unfortunately, 5 weeks in bullet time goes a lot faster than one may think.


The future is here and my world has changed more dramatically than ever before. Today I am a Studio Art Major who may work for Goldman Sachs. Drawing & finance is not the story you want to tell the starving artists. I was neither Muslim nor the alternative when I made my way to Morocco. Yet here I am with beliefs more strengthened. I was the untrained dancer who grew in the ranks in the Sheba Hip Hop Dance Troupe. I made the iMPACT! I have always dreamed of by combining art, dance, drama, animation, and poetry in one giant showcase. I gave artists a voice. I gave myself a voice. And now I intend to share that voice and give the audience a world they have never seen before through my Tales.


I flew and as I came back to the ground with an incredibly cheesy smile on my face, I am searching still. Regardless of what I find, I know I’ll make the most of it. It is good to go looking so that one day I can return with something that might not be an answer, but still something for my next journey. The next place I’m aiming for is college. Even if I don’t discover what belonging is, I will find something valuable there. Fortunately, though I can play the Jack of all Trades, it doesn’t mean I’m the master of none. I use my gifts wherever I go, I use my spiritual values to remain patient and peaceful, and I use my curious and stubborn mind to fly, plant stars, and come back down to admire them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home